Wednesday 22 February 2012

PRAYER AND GOOD WORKS FOR LENT 2014

PRAYER is the lifting of one's mind, heart and body to God.
This communion with God always leads to GOOD WORKS communion with other.

For Catholics the PRAYER of LENT
is Sunday Lenten Mass and daily Lent Mass

Attend and celebrate Lenten Mass as often as possible.
It is the way that we meet God
in Word, Sacrament, Community, Prayer and Service.

 
Biblical basis of the Eucharist.
Gospel of St Luke Chapter 22 Verse 17 - 20
Then, taking a cup, He gave thanks and said, "Take this and share it among you, because from now on, I tell you, I shall never again drink wine until the Kingdom of God comes. Then He took bread, and when he had given thanks, He broke it and gave it to them, saying, "This is my body given for you; do this in remembrance of me." He did the same with the cup after supper, and said, "This cup is the new covenant in my blood poured out for you."

Likewise in the Gospel of St John
Jesus links the Last Supper and Eucharist with SERVICE
Gospel of St John Chapter 22 Chapter 12 - 15
When He had washed their feet and put on His outer garments again He went back to the table. "Do you understand", He said, " what I have done to you? You call me Master and Lord, and rightly; so I am. If I, then, the Lord and Master, have washed your feet, you must wash each other's feet. I have given you an example so that you may copy what I have done to you."

Likewise St Paul states in his First Letter to the Corinthians Chapter 11

For I received from the Lord what I also handed on to you, that the Lord Jesus on the night when he was betrayed took a loaf of bread, and when he had given thanks, he broke it and said, "  This is my body that is for you. Do this in remembrance of me."
In the same way he took the sup also, after supper, saying, "This cup is the new covenant in my blood. Do this, as often as you drink it, in remembrance of me."


Likewise for Catholics the Sacrament of RECONCILIATION ( CONFESSION )
is all important in our spiritual preparations.
Here we meet God who forgives us and loves us unconditionally.
Biblical basis for Sacrament of Reconciliation:

Gospel of St Matthew Chapter 16 Verse 16 - 19
So I say to you ( Peter ): You are Peter and on this rock I will build my church. And the gates of the underworld can never overpower it. I will give you the keys of the Kingdom of Heaven; whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven; whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven. "  

Likewise in Gospel of St John Chapter 20 Verses 20 - 23
The disciples were filled with joy at seeing the Lord, and He said to them again, "Peace be with you. As the Father sent me, so I am sending you." After this He breathed on them and said,"Receive the Holy Spirit. If you forgive anyone's sins they are forgiven; if you retain the sins of any there are retained."

No comments:

Post a Comment